The theme for IPSY this month was “Like a Boss” which I thought was really interesting. The bag this month was black with royal blue on the inside, and a rough texture on the outside. I actually really like it, and it’s one of the only bags that I can actually see myself using outside as something other than a makeup bag.
The first item I got was some type of snail secretion that’s supposed to do something for your face. To be honest, I’m still not exactly sure what it is. Either way, I don’t think I would ever use this product since I found out that it contains snail secretion. I’m sure it’s probably great, but personally, I just can’t.
The second product I got was Smashbox Photo Finish Radiance Primer. I was really excited when I got this because I heard such good things about Smashbox primers, but this one had a tint to it. I don’t know how to describe it. I just feel like it won’t look good on my pale skin.
I also got the Elizabeth Mott eyeshadow in Gunmetal. It’s the second product that I’ve received from them (the first one was a highlighter), and I loved the first one. I’m just not sure that I’ll like the shade of this eyeshadow. I prefer gold eyeshadow to silver. The fourth item I got was an angled shading brush from Luxie. This is another product that I probably would have liked if it was a different type of brush. I just don’t use angled brushes.
Last, I got a blush duo from Pixi in Peach Honey. I am absolutely in love with this brush. The colors are absolutely beautiful, and I think that it will look great on my pale skin. It also has a little bit of shimmer to it which would be nice if I’m not wearing a highlighter that day but still would like a little bit of shimmer.
Overall, I’d give this bag about a 3 out of five. I love the bag and the blush duo, but that’s really all that I can see myself using.
August has been an incredibly crazy, busy, and exciting month for me. I started student teaching this month and took over my first class which has been an emotional roller coaster. There are days when I’m incredibly happy and absolutely love my job, and there are other days when I feel like I have no idea what I’m doing. Overall, though, I’ve loved it. Anyway, because of this, most of my favorites for this month are because of student teaching.
- Eva-NYC 10 in 1 Hair Primer: I got this product in my IPSY bag a few months ago, and I absolutely love it! I use it right after I dry my hair, and it makes my hair so much more manageable, shiny, dries faster, and healthier. I’m literally down to the last few sprays, so I’m going to go out and buy more very soon.
- Pixi by Petra Color Corrector in Brightening Peach: I have really dark under eye circles. Plus, I’ve been having to wake up a lot earlier than usual which doesn’t help much, so I wanted to try a color corrector to try and make them a bit better. This has been really great. The color is great and really does make my under eyes a lot brighter.
- Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge: I have been using this everyday since I got it. It blends my makeup so well and makes it look flawless. The point also lets me blend my concealer into the corners of my eyes. In my opinion this is better than the Beauty Blender.
- Too Faced Natural Love Palette: This is the absolute best everyday eye palette. You can get so many different looks with it. They blend out really well, and there are multiple different mattes, shimmers, and glittery shades to get the look you want. I also think it’s the perfect beginner makeup palette.
- Crochet Toms: These shoes have been absolutely perfect for student teaching since I have to be on my feet all day. They are so comfortable, and they are dressy enough to wear for school.
- Vera Bradley Agenda: This has literally been my life since I started student teaching. Between school, my blog, my channel, and general life, I have been living by what’s in this. It is a little expensive, but it has been perfect!
I hope you all have had a great month! Let me know what you have been loving in the comments!
I have been getting IPSY bags for about a year now, but I heard about the Sephora Play bag from my cousin and decided to try it out. This was my first month getting it, so I wanted to spend a post comparing the two.
As far as the actual bag, they are both supposed to come with collectable bags, but I definitely prefer the IPSY bag (at least this month). I use the IPSY bags to separate all the different colors of lipstick I have, and I prefer having a zipper to a drawstring bag.
Both of the bags are $10, and they come monthly. The IPSY bag gives you the chance to see your products the second week of the month, and they show you the theme and bag on the first of every month. Sephora Play does not show the theme or the products you are getting until around the time you actually get the bag. This is just a matter of preference, but I prefer the way IPSY does it.
With IPSY, you get your bag around the end of the second week of the month. Sephora Play delivers the bag around the third week of the month. IPSY sends the bag in a metallic pink bubble wrap package, and Sephora Play sends theirs in black and white striped box. Even though I have never received any damaged products from IPSY, I feel like the box protects the samples better, and the box is really cute.
As for the products themselves, it seems like you get more deluxe samples from IPSY (at least this month). However, Sephora Play definitely gives you higher end samples. This month I got samples from Beauty Blender, Too Faced, Clinique, and Glam Glow. IPSY, on the other hand, is more drugstore makeup even though they usually do send at least one sample of higher end makeup with each bag.
Overall, I think that both bags are definitely worth it. Choosing between the two comes down to a matter of preference and the samples that you are looking to try.
When I first started doing my makeup, I was a bit overwhelmed at all of the different brands. I had absolutely no idea which products were good, which ones were bad, or even which ones were drugstore makeup brands versus higher end. SO….if you happen to be in the same position as I was in then, here are a few of my absolute favorite drugstore makeup brands and some of the products I love from each one.
- Maybelline: Maybelline just always seems pretty reliable when it comes to finding and trying out new makeup. I really haven’t found a lot from there that I just absolutely hate. Maybelline has some really great concealers, including the Fit Me and the Instant Age Rewind Under Eye concealers. They also have good everyday mascaras. My personal favorite is the Lash Sensational mascara.
- Rimmel: I’m a big fan of Rimmel mainly because they have really good drugstore foundations. I use the Lasting Finish 25 hour foundation which definitely lasts all day (not really sure about 25 hours, though, since I take my makeup off at night). I also love that it has a foundation light enough for my pale skin. Recently, I bought their setting powder which is also really great.
- L’Oreal: This is probably my absolute favorite drugstore brand simply because they do so, so many products right. If I had to recommend one, it would probably be this one. Their foundations are light enough for my pale skin, they make my absolute favorite mascara as of now (Lash Paradise), and I’ve heard their lip liners and lipsticks are really great.
- Physician’s Formula: This one is kind of the higher end of drugstore makeup. Because of that, I’ve just started trying it out, but so far I really like the brand as a whole. My favorite is their Butter Bronzer which is so creamy and smells like coconut.
I was so excited to finally get these products. I have been waiting for them since they announced that they were launching them, so I’m just going to jump right into it!
- They do not feel cheap.
- They are very soft.
- They blend out makeup well.
- The powder brush is dense enough to pick up enough product, but fluffy enough not to make the powder look cakey.
- The face brush works really well with highlighter.
- The blending brush blends eyeshadow into the crease really well.
- They do not have the names on the brushes!!
- I don’t particularly like the dome eyeshadow brush. I prefer those to be more flexible than this one is.
I was very pleasantly surprised with these brushes. I honestly thought that they would feel cheap, but they actually are very nice, soft brushes!
No Filter Concealer in Fair 5
- The shade is actually pale enough for my skin tone which doesn’t happen very often.
- I love the applicator! It picks up the product and applies it really well.
- The packaging is sleek and nice.
- It looks very natural and healthy on the skin.
- It is really easy to blend out.
- It feels really lightweight and not at all cakey.
- It gives really good, full coverage.
- It’s a really good price.
- After about two or three hours, it started to sink into my smile lines, but not enough to really look bad.
I was actually really shocked when I first tried out this product. I thought that it was going to be good, but I really didn’t expect to like it as much as I have. I really think that this is a great concealer for pimples and redness. It’s not my favorite for under eyes since it’s not as brightening as I like under eye concealers to be. This really isn’t a con, though since it’s not supposed to be strictly for under eyes or claims to be really brightening.